Wednesday 25 February 2009

Diagram Prize Time Again

I'm still feeling pretty rubbish, so let's have something uplifting and fun. Every year the Bookseller magazine runs its Diagram Prize competition for the weirdest title of a published book and here's the 2008 shortlist. Remember, these are genuine publications. You can vote for your favourite at www.thebookseller.com and the winner will be announced on 27th March.

Baboon Metaphysics

Curbside Consultation of the Colon

The Large Sieve and its Applications

Strip and Knit with Style

Techniques for Corrosion Monitoring

The 2009-2014 World Outlook for 60-milligram Containers of Fromage Frais

I've just cast my vote for the delightful Baboon Metaphysics and my second favourite is the enticingly domestic-sounding The Large Sieve and its Applications (is it a sequel to The Heavy Rolling-Pin and its Application as Instrument of Domestic Chastisement?) The front-runner is currently the Fromage Frais one - but it doesn't do it for me. So, get voting, and let those monkeys join last year's winner, If You Want Closure in Your Relationship, Start with Your Legs (see full list on my post 7 March 2008), 2006's winner The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification (although I preferred How Green Were the Nazis) and 2005's How People Who Don't Know They're Dead Attach Themselves to Unsuspecting Bystanders and What to Do About It (see my post 15 April 2007). Have fun, y'hear?

3 comments:

Karen said...

How funny! I rather fancy The Large Sieve and it's Applications for some reason. As for Strip and Knit with Style - well I can knit, but my stripping days are well and truly over :o)

I do hope you're feeling better now.

Lane Mathias said...

The Baboons do it for me too. And the large sieve. I'm actually wondering what a 'large sieve' is. I'm thinking colander like thing but maybe it's something very scientific:-)

Hope you're feeling loads better.

Lorna F said...

Glad you enjoyed this, girls. I was quite torn between the sieve and the baboons.